Docs (Basic): How Docs Work
Once you upload a document to an account, you’ll find it by going to Documents from the left sidebar menu or by opening the account’s Docs tab. A document’s access level depends on the specific folders you place it in. Read on to find out how it all works.
The Documents Page
To view or download documents for all your accounts, go to your Documents page from the left sidebar menu.
You’ll see three tabs here:
- Recent: These are documents you’ve worked with in the last 30 days. It’s a convenient place to quickly find all your most recent work. For more details, go here.
- Docs: These are documents arranged by client account. Select an account, then navigate to its folders to access the documents. You’ll find both recent and old documents here. To access one client’s documents, you can also go to Clients from the left sidebar menu, select the account, then open the Docs tab.
- Trash: These are documents that you deleted from accounts in the last 120 days. For more details, go here.
The Docs List
The Docs list displays all documents for the selected account.
You’ll find this information here:
Name: The document’s file type appears to the left of its name.
Contains: This shows how many documents and subfolders are in the current folder. If the subfolders contain documents, they are not included in the total.
Date: This is the date the document was uploaded.
Uploaded by: You see who uploaded documents to the top-level folders with Client can view and Private access levels. For more details on access levels, go here.
Description: If a description was added while the document was uploaded, you’ll see one.
Status: The status tags help you manage and organize your documents. For more details, go here.
Folders and documents are labeled NEW when they haven’t yet been viewed. Once they are viewed or downloaded, the label goes away.
On an account’s documents page, the five tabs help organize their documents:
- Documents: All client documents are stored here (more details below).
- Approvals: These firm-prepared documents have been paid for and approved by the client, or they are still awaiting approval. The tags let you know their status.
- Signatures: These firm-prepared documents still need to be signed the clients.
- File Requests: These are links to folders where clients can upload documents when they cannot log on to the TaxDome portal.
- Trash: These are documents that have been deleted; they permanently go away after 120 days.
Knowing When Clients Upload Documents
When a client uploads a document, you receive an email notification. Plus, you get a notification in your Inbox+. Click the highlighted document name or the Go to... link to get to the document.
You also receive a notification when a client uploads documents to an organizer. For more details about this, go here.
On the Documents page, documents that haven’t been viewed or downloaded yet—and folders containing such files—are labeled New.
Tip: Change your notification preferences whenever you need to.
Who Can Manage Documents
The firm owner and admins can upload, edit, and delete documents for all the accounts; all other team members need to be given the proper access rights:
1. Go to Settings, select Team & Plans in the menu bar, click the three dots to the far right of the team member's name, then select Edit.
2. Toggle on Manage documents.
3. Click Save.