Invoices (Basic): Create, Set Up Reminders
This page applies to TaxDome Pro! pricing plan only. You can upgrade anytime.
Send invoices to clients either manually or via pipeline automation. If you have lots to send out, speed up the process by creating templates and using automations!
- Creating & Sending Invoices
- Setting Up Reminders About Invoices
- How Invoice Numbers Are Generated
- How to Set Your First Invoice Number
- What Clients See When You Create Invoices
Creating & Sending Invoices
There are two ways to create and send invoices:
Create & Send an Invoice Once
To create and send an invoice on TaxDome, follow these steps:
1. Click the + NEW button in the left sidebar, select Invoice from the slide-out.
2. Enter the amount of the invoice and the description.
3. Then click Submit to create and send the invoice.
In addition to the amount, there are other details you may want to include on an invoice. Below, we show you everything you can add.
1. Link to jobs: Link your invoice to an existing job to make it immediately available in your workflow when needed. Click the Link to Jobs and select the jobs. Once linked, the Jobs section is displayed. You can see the job title and the pipeline it belongs to.
2. Invoice number: Enter an invoice number of your choosing. When you leave the field empty, TaxDome automatically generates one for you (see below for details).
3. Date: Enter the date for the invoice. You can issue an invoice for the current date (set as the default), a past date, but not a future date.
4. Team member: Select another team member to receive the payment for the invoice (by default, the person creating the invoice receives it).
5. Description: Add a description outlining what is included in the invoice (optional).
7. Send email invoice to the client: Toggle on if you want the client to be notified by email about an invoice.
8. Reminders: Toggle on to send an email notification to the client if they don’t pay the invoice within three—or a specified number of—days (see below for details).
9. Line items: Add a client-facing list of itemized services and discounts.
- Line item: To add a line item, click the Line item button, then either select the existing service or create a new one. Fill in the Rate field, set the quantity of the service, and decide if taxes will be applied (For more details, go here.)
- Discount: To add a line item, click the Discount button, then fill in the Rate field. The negative amount will be subtracted from the invoice's Total.
- Subtotal: Sum for the services provided before tax.
- Tax Rate: Once sales tax is added, it’s reflected in the total (see the article for details).
11. Create: Click to send an invoice to a client.
Create a Template & Send Invoices Using Automations
Using TaxDome’s automations, set up invoices to be automatically sent out when jobs move to a certain stage in a pipeline. To send an automated invoice to a client, you’ll first need a template. For more details, go here. Once you have a template, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings, select Pipelines, then click on the pipeline name or the CREATE PIPELINE button.
2. Choose the stage you want to link the automation to, click + Add automation, then select Create Invoice in the pull-down.
3. Choose the template for the automation, then toggle on the Reminders if you want an additional email to go out to the client when they don’t respond within a certain time frame. Read more about Reminders here.
4. Click Save to keep your changes.
Once a job moves to a stage in a pipeline with a Create Invoice automation, the automation list is displayed. If you don’t want an automatic invoice to be sent, deselect the automation, then click Move.
Setting Up Reminders About Invoices
While creating an invoice or setting up a Create Invoice automation, toggle on Reminders. When you do, the client will be sent a reminder about the invoice if it has not been paid within a certain time frame; the default number of days is three, but you can change that:
Inactivity Threshold, Days: This is the number of days before an inactive client is sent a reminder. By default, the reminder is sent three days after an invoice is issued, but you can change that to what you prefer.
Limit to: This is the number of reminders TaxDome sends to the client. By default, the client gets only one reminder email, but you can also change this to what you prefer.
Reminders stop when...
- ...the client has not paid the invoice but the set number of reminders have been sent.
- ...the client has paid the invoice.
How Invoice Numbers Are Generated
- If you don’t enter an invoice number when you create an invoice but leave the field empty, a number is automatically generated for you.
- The invoice number will be sent to QuickBooks if you have set up sync.
- You’ll be able to edit the invoice number later, and it will be automatically updated in QuickBooks if you have set up sync.
- Each invoice inside your firm has a unique number; your firm cannot have two or more invoices with the same one.
- When automatically generated, the invoice number is sequential.
- If you manually create invoice numbers, TaxDome uses the next available number to generate a new one.
How to Set Your First Invoice Number
You can set your firm's first invoice number if you are a firm owner or admin. This could be useful if your firm, say, already has 1,500 invoices in another system, and you don't want to start at 1 because it will throw off QuickBooks sync.
Go to Settings, then Firm Settings. In the Invoice Number Sequencing section, fill in the field, then click Save. Now, TaxDome will start invoice numbering from the specified number.
What Clients See When You Create Invoices
Your client can view and pay invoices by clicking the notification on their dashboard, clicking the link in their email notification, or clicking the link in the Invoices section of their portal.
If you want to see TaxDome from the client’s side, access a read-only view of their portal.